Kobe Deron Hunter, the 23-year-old driver, and 26-year-old passenger Deon Lenail Brown shot at a vehicle carrying four people around 4:30 p.m. on Saturday before speeding away in a Toyota Camry, the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.
None of the four victims were injured in the shooting. They were able to pull off the interstate and meet a Lake Helen police officer, who reported a bullet hole in their windshield, the sheriff’s office said.
The victims were able to provide investigators with dashcam footage and a license plate number to help deputies track down the suspect vehicle.
After the suspects were later spotted fleeing from a deputy in Deltona, the sheriff’s office called in a helicopter to trail the vehicle.
The sheriff’s office released video of the high-speed chase showing Hunter and Brown’s vehicle weaving through traffic. But the driver loses control of the vehicle, spinning out and rolling over on the side of the roadway.
The two suspects can be seen bailing out of the wrecked car and attempting to run into a wooded area.
Deputies took Hunter into custody without incident moments later. Brown remained in the thick brush and was captured by a K-9 unit shortly after.
“The scumbags who want to engage in idiotic gunplay on our roads can be sure they’ll receive the full attention of law enforcement and the justice system,” Sheriff Mike Chitwood said. “Fortunately, no one was killed today, but the morons sitting in jail tonight did just about everything they could to tempt fate and cause a tragedy.”
Hunter was charged as an accessory with discharging a firearm from a vehicle, shooting or projecting a deadly missile into an occupied vehicle, and aggravated assault, among others.
Brown also faces a slew of charges, including possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, discharging a firearm from a vehicle, shooting or projecting a deadly missile into an occupied vehicle, and aggravated assault, among others.
- [LLODO] Possible tornado moves toward Florida capital
- [LLODO] Florida police union gets ‘major victory’ as appeals court rules some officers’ identities can be shielded
- [LLODO] Florida street racer gets 24 years for crash that killed mother, toddler: report
- [LLODO] Miami Beach ends earlier spring break curfew, will observe late-night restrictions until next week
- [LLODO] WATCH: Florida police capture 10-foot alligator found beneath car in Tampa
- [LLODO] Gaetz’s alleged extorter confirms he wanted $25M, denies shakedown
- [LLODO] Alcee Hastings, Democratic congressman from Florida, dead at 84
- [LLODO] Florida sheriff evacuates hundreds of inmates amid potential plant collapse
- [LLODO] Ex-Gaetz staffer says FBI approached him with ‘baseless’ allegations, pushes back against DOJ probe