Clifford Smith, 44, was arrested Thursday morning by the Fruitland Park Police Department and charged with child neglect
Police said they received a call Wednesday night from a mother who said she had left her daughter in the care of the girl’s father. She said the girl and Smith were gone when she returned home, but the infant’s diaper bag was still there.
Police said they obtained information that Smith “was possibly out attempting to obtain narcotics.” A Florida Missing Child Alert was activated.
Police canceled the alert early Thursday morning after Smith returned home with the girl. They said she was in good spirits, but apparently had a soiled diaper, Orlando’s FOX 35 reported.
Police said Smith told them he drove around, offering rides to people for money which he used to purchase methamphetamine to get “lit” with friends.
Fruitland Park is located in Central Florida, about 50 miles northwest of Orlando.
- [LLODO] Mom of four killed when neighbor’s gun accidentally goes off
- [LLODO] Florida beachgoers form human chain to save swimmer from rough Gulf surf
- [LLODO] Florida driver smashes through traffic arm, jumps Daytona Beach drawbridge
- [LLODO] Florida burglary suspect held down by neighbors until cops arrive, police say
- [LLODO] Missing Florida girl, 11, found at home of 22-year-old ‘boyfriend’; suspect facing child sex abuse charges
- [LLODO] Florida teen electrocuted following car crash ID’d as high school senior, JROTC cadet lieutenant, report says
- [LLODO] Who is Joel Greenberg? Florida tax collector facing federal charges is key figure in Matt Gaetz case
- [LLODO] Teenager dies when electrocuted during Florida storm
- [LLODO] Cheney calls Gaetz allegations ‘sickening,’ stays mum on calls for resignation