Dominique Rashad Rogers, 26, is alleged to have entered a home in Winter Haven, uninvited, and immediately attacked the homeowner, Reggie.
The pair struggled for a time, during which time Reggie’s roommate, Barbara Gurgir, ran next door for help, according to a report.
The homeowner was able to break free from Rogers and retrieve a gun, but when he returned, Rogers fled.
“He said ‘Don’t shoot me! Don’t shoot me!'” Gurgir told Fox 13.
A 911 call claimed that Rogers had tried to steal a mail truck as he attempted to flee the scene.
Neighbors tackled Rogers and restrained him until police could arrive.
Winter Haven police arrested Rogers and booked him into Polk County Jail on charges of burglary with battery and burglary of an occupied structure.
Police told Fox News that no motive for the burglary attempt or attack has been determined. Police Chief David Brannan told reporters that Rogers claimed someone was chasing him, but that “nobody witnessed anyone chasing him.”
Emergency Medical Services treated the homeowner for “minor injuries,” and no one else was injured during the incident.
- [LLODO] Mom of four killed when neighbor’s gun accidentally goes off
- [LLODO] Florida beachgoers form human chain to save swimmer from rough Gulf surf
- [LLODO] Florida driver smashes through traffic arm, jumps Daytona Beach drawbridge
- [LLODO] Florida dad took infant daughter on meth run to get ‘lit’ with friends, police say
- [LLODO] Missing Florida girl, 11, found at home of 22-year-old ‘boyfriend’; suspect facing child sex abuse charges
- [LLODO] Florida teen electrocuted following car crash ID’d as high school senior, JROTC cadet lieutenant, report says
- [LLODO] Who is Joel Greenberg? Florida tax collector facing federal charges is key figure in Matt Gaetz case
- [LLODO] Teenager dies when electrocuted during Florida storm
- [LLODO] Cheney calls Gaetz allegations ‘sickening,’ stays mum on calls for resignation