Rep. Dean Phillips, D-Minn., called on Democratic leadership to abandon their pursuit of overturning Miller-Meeks’ state-certified election to place her opponent Rita Hart in Congress.
Phillips – who sits on the House Ethics Committee – said that while the electoral loss by six votes was “painful” for Democrats, overturning the election would be agonizing for America.
“Losing a House election by six votes is painful for Democrats,” Phillips wrote on Twitter. “But overturning it in the House would be even more painful for America.”
“Just because a majority can, does not mean a majority should,” added Phillips.
Politico confirmed that House Democratic leadership gave the green light to pursue pirating Miller-Meeks’ seat on Monday.
National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) spokesman Mike Berg told Fox News that the NRCC is happy to see Phillips break with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and her “toxic attempt” to take the Iowa seat.
“We’re glad Rep. Phillips took our advice and came out against Nancy Pelosi’s toxic attempt to overturn a state-certified election,” said Berg. “Rep. Phillips’ vulnerable colleagues should follow his lead.”
Democrats in Congress have been pushing to reverse Miller-Meeks’ victory to represent Iowa’s 2nd Congressional District.
Miller-Meeks spoke out against the Democratic effort to take her House seat in a “Special Report” interview earlier this month, defending her state-certified win and saying people across America should be “outraged” at the attempt to overturn it.
“Everybody across the country should be outraged by this,” said Miller-Meeks. “I certainly have been encouraged by those people across the country who have reached out to me and told me they’re contacting their representatives to let them know their displeasure.”
Fox News’ Evie Fordham contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] Political cartoon of the day: State of emergencies
- [LLODO] Political cartoon of the day: The irony
- [LLODO] Political cartoon of the day: Harris a puppeteer for Biden China policy
- [LLODO] Florida Gov. DeSantis to sign ‘anti-riot’ bill into law, office says
- [LLODO] Ex-Trump official Kellyanne Conway named senior adviser to Ohio Senate candidate Bernie Moreno
- [LLODO] Political cartoon of the day: One big joke
- [LLODO] Warnock pushes gun control but paid over $100K to private security firm
- [LLODO] Whitmer defends state health director traveling to Alabama while not fully vaccinated
- [LLODO] AOC-linked group backs ‘Defund the Police’ advocate in NY primary