New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo received the Founders Award “in recognition of his leadership during the Covid-19 pandemic and his masterful use of television to inform and calm people around the world” at Monday’s International Emmy Awards ceremony.
The ceremony was broadcast virtually on Monday morning. Cuomo held a coronavirus media briefing on Monday morning as well.
Cuomo was announced as an award recipient Friday, sparking significant backlash because of his controversial nursing home policy that has been linked to the deaths of thousands of elderly residents.
“Andrew Cuomo deserves to be on trial for the elderly people his nursing home order directly murdered. Instead, he’s getting an Emmy,” The Federalist’s Ben Domenech wrote on Twitter.
According to the Emmys, its Founder’s Award is given to those who “cross cultural boundaries to touch our common humanity.” Past recipients include former Vice President Al Gore, Oprah Winfrey, and Steven Spielberg.
In the early weeks of the pandemic, Cuomo was hailed by Democrats and members of the media for his daily briefings tackling the coronavirus. However, the governor has since been scrutinized for his order that required nursing homes in his state to admit COVID-19 patients. While that order has since been reversed, the policy has been heavily attributed to New York’s record-breaking death toll, which includes many senior citizens living in nursing homes.
Cuomo, as well as New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, have also been slammed for their crackdown of Orthodox Jews and recent closure of NYC schools.
Fox News’ Joseph A. Wulfsohn contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] Cuomo takes parting shot at Trump admin, targets ‘reclamation’ of SALT funds
- [LLODO] Cuomo decries ‘assault on New York taxpayers’ as governor plans $306B in new infrastructure developments
- [LLODO] Newly lockdown-averse Cuomo says rapid COVID testing key to reopening NY economy
- [LLODO] Critics mock NY Gov. Cuomo’s sudden denunciation of lockdowns, suggest Trump hacked his Twitter account
- [LLODO] Cuomo’s nursing home coronavirus policy: Admin refuses record requests for study absolving him on deaths
- [LLODO] Cuomo again blames federal government for New York deficit, slow COVID-19 vaccine rollout
- [LLODO] Cuomo slams critics after blaming hospitals, other officials for vaccine rollout failures
- [LLODO] Cuomo’s book touting ‘leadership’ during pandemic released just before huge spike in COVID cases, pundit notes
- [LLODO] Cuomo administration: Vaccine data tracker coming amid rollout scrutiny