Attorney General nominee Merrick Garland repeatedly “dodged” questions from Republican senators during his confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, told “Hannity” Monday.
“He has a reputation of being relatively nonpartisan as a judge,” Cruz told Sean Hannity, “[but] I will say the hearing was frustrating as it went on today because he basically dodged every question. He refused to answer any question. He answered like a judicial nominee and not like a nominee to be attorney general.”
Garland avoided directly responding to Cruz’s questions relating to the Durham investigation into the Trump-Russia probe origins, the protection of the Second Amendment, and whether crossing the border illegally should be a criminal offense.
“It was a really disappointing performance in total,” Cruz said, “because he would not be candid, he would not be forthcoming.”
Cruz also joined the chorus of conservatives voicing opposition to Xavier Becerra, Biden’s nominee to be secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. The senator described Becerra as an “extremist” who would carry a radically liberal agenda if confirmed.
“The Biden administration likes to talk about [how] they’re science-based and their priority of stopping COVID, well … he’s not a doctor,” Cruz said, highlighting Becerra’s background as a trial lawyer.
“If a Republican nominated a trial lawyer to lead [the] Health and Human Services department in the midst of a global pandemic, they would be laughed out of the room because it would be absurd,” Cruz said.
“And yet, the Biden administration’s focus is on paying off the liberal special interest, not on being based on the science and defeating the pandemic.”
As for the media’s reaction to his Cancun family vacation that dominated headlines over the weekend, Cruz said plainly, “I think the media is suffering from Trump withdrawal, where they’ve attacked Trump every day for four years they don’t know what to do, so they obsess over my taking the girls to the beach.”
- [LLODO] Abbott tells ‘The Story’ Biden admin ‘standing by’ while Texans are ‘terrorized’ by drug cartels
- [LLODO] Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis discusses legislation to strengthen police protection and prevent riots
- [LLODO] Tucker blasts Utah’s Republican governor for defense of ‘racist’ scholarship program
- [LLODO] Florida Governor Ron DeSantis discusses legislation to strengthen police protection and prevent riots
- [LLODO] Dana Loesch explodes on Adam Toledo’s absent guardians leading up to fatal shooting: Where are the adults?
- [LLODO] Dog the Bounty Hunter calls for police to ‘take the lead out of the bullet,’ adopt less-lethal alternatives
- [LLODO] San Francisco parent slams California schools’ lag in reopening: ‘Zoom in a room’s a joke’
- [LLODO] Slain New Mexico police officer’s widow files wrongful death lawsuit, alleging DHS ‘botched’ operation
- [LLODO] Seattle business owner slams city officials for not doing anything to stop graffiti vandals