It was not clear what led to the shooting. The officer was undergoing surgery, according to a statement issued by Police Chief Tyke Hunt and Charleston Mayor Amy Shuler Goodwin.
The Charleston Police Department did not respond to messages and calls from Fox News.
The Kanawha County Sheriff’s Department, which is assisting in the investigation, declined to comment.
In a tweet, Kanawha County said it was praying for the police department.
“Statement from the Kanawha County Commission: Our thoughts and prayers are with the Charleston Police Department, @charlestoncity, and the entire public safety community,” the post read.
- [LLODO] West Virginia area told to shelter-in-place after explosion at chemical plant
- [LLODO] Probe of West Virginia police officer’s death leads to 3 drug-related arrests: report
- [LLODO] West Virginia police officer’s death leads to 3 more arrests: report
- [LLODO] West Virginia cop shot Tuesday is dead after pulled from life support; organs to be donated
- [LLODO] West Virginia cop shot in the face dead after pulled from life support; organs to be donated
- [LLODO] WV cop shot in the face pulled from life support, organs to be donated