The Chicago Police Department said Thursday it remains on the hunt for a mystery driver accused of shooting into another vehicle during a road rage incident, striking a 21-month-old boy and leaving him critically injured.
Jushawn Brown, a 43-year-old man from Chicago who police say was driving the vehicle in which the child was riding, has been charged with unlawful use of a firearm by a felon in connection to the shooting. Brown had fired shots at the other vehicle about 11 a.m. Tuesday and was arrested later that day, police said.
“The investigation of the other vehicle involved and who fired the shot striking the child is continuing,” Chicago Police Department spokesperson Tom Ahern tweeted Thursday while announcing the details of Brown’s charges.
The wounded boy – who was hit in the temple — was in critical condition Wednesday at Lurie Children’s Hospital.
He is on a ventilator and in a medically induced coma to protect his brain, said Dr. Marcelo Malakooti, the hospital’s associate chief medical officer and medical director of its pediatric ICU.
Malakooti said the boy has a severe brain injury and he remained “incredibly ill.”
“The fact that he hasn’t worsened, I would say, provides us with a cautious hope,” he said at a Wednesday afternoon news conference.
The shooting involving the child Tuesday was near Grant Park on the city’s South Side. Police have said one driver would not let the other enter a lane of traffic. Police recovered bullet casings over about a two-block stretch of the roadway.
A woman jumped out of the car with the child following the shooting and someone drove them to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, before the boy was transferred to Lurie Children’s Hospital.
Brown was scheduled to appear Thursday in bond court.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] University will no longer describe suspects’ race in public safety advisories, cites ‘stereotypes’: report
- [LLODO] Chicago Teachers Union asks for delay of high school reopenings, wants vaccines for students and families
- [LLODO] Illinois’ Pritzker signs firefighter pension bill that Lightfoot slams as ‘backroom’ deal
- [LLODO] Chicago toddler shot during road rage incident, seven others hurt during sidewalk bullet fight, police say
- [LLODO] Chicago mayor vows to find adults who supplied Adam Toledo, 13, with gun before he was fatally shot by police
- [LLODO] Chicago weekend crime: 8 people murdered, 30 shootings reported citywide
- [LLODO] Chicago Mayor Lightfoot calls for release of videos after 13-year-old boy killed by police
- [LLODO] Chicago man arrested after stabbing victim who refused demand for money, police say
- [LLODO] Chicago man, 18, killed after shooting police officer, security worker, investigators say