Police located the suspect, 39-year-old Alaxstair Reed, about 10 minutes after the stabbing just a couple of blocks away from the scene. He has been charged with one count of attempted murder and one count of aggravated robbery.
The victim was walking with his 15-year-old son when he denied Reed’s request for spare change, WGN9 reports. He was transported to a local hospital for surgery.
Chicago has seen a crime spike amid the coronavirus pandemic. The city recorded 769 homicides last year, a 55% increase over 2019. Fatal shootings jumped by 53% in 2020.
The crime spike continued into 2021, with 85 people murdered in the first two months of this year, compared to 70 in the same time frame last year, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
- [LLODO] Adam Toledo shooting: Video release leaves family, community reeling as authorities continue to investigate
- [LLODO] Chicago protesters demand answers after release of Adam Toledo shooting
- [LLODO] Adam Toledo case: Chicago officer who fired deadly shot on administrative leave
- [LLODO] Chicago police release body cam video of Adam Toledo shooting
- [LLODO] Adam Toledo: Chicago officer who fired deadly shot on administrative leave
- [LLODO] Chicago police release Adam Toledo shooting video
- [LLODO] Chicago braces for release of video in Adam Toledo’s shooting death
- [LLODO] Chicago Police cancel officer days off amid ‘events across the country’
- [LLODO] Chicago prosecutors allege Adam Toledo, 13, had a gun when he was shot by police: reports