On March 9, Charleston city officials voted to extend coronavirus mandates through April 14, including mask requirements, despite some residents calling for the ordinance to be lifted.
Demonstrations protesting the year-long mask mandates have popped up around the country, and a group called “Unmask Charleston,” have joined the recent calls for a return to normalcy, first reported a local CBS reporter on twitter.
The group of 50-75 protestors marched in a permitted demonstration from Charleston’s Customs House to City Hall Saturday, with what police said was a “peaceful” event, reported local news outlet WCBD News 2.
The Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has said wearing a mask is instrumental in preventing the spread of the coronavirus.
President Biden has repeatedly called on all Americans to wear a mask for the first 100 days of his administration, until enough Americans have been able to receive the vaccine and the country can build heard immunity.
But despite warnings of a potential fourth spike in cases due emerging variants of the coronavirus, six states have already lifted their statewide mandates.
Iowa, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Texas and Wyoming have removed mask requirements, and Alabama is expected to remove it’s face covering mandate come April.
Earlier this month, Biden accused Republican leadership of “Neanderthal thinking” after Mississippi and Texas became the first states to reject CDC warnings.
“We’ve been able to move that all the way up to the end of May to have enough [vaccines] for every American, to get every adult American to get a shot,” Biden told reporters from the White House on March 4. “The last thing we need is the Neanderthal thinking.”
On Friday, the U.S. administered 100 million doses of the coronavirus vaccine, well ahead of the president’s original goal to meet the pledge by his 100th day in office.
Biden has said the U.S. will have 300 million vaccines by the end of May — enough doses to vaccinate nearly the entire country.
- [LLODO] Inside the SC home where Army drill sergeant fled after BLM surrounds
- [LLODO] BLM activist protests without mask at Pentland home, says he has COVID, video shows
- [LLODO] Who is Jonathan Pentland? South Carolina Army drill sergeant charged in viral altercation with Black man
- [LLODO] South Carolina Army sergeant leaves home amid ‘violent’ BLM protests; Army officials say review continues
- [LLODO] South Carolina Army general reviewing viral video says focus is on doing ‘the right thing the right way’
- [LLODO] Army drill sergeant charged over viral video involving Black man
- [LLODO] Army probing video of Black man harassed by soldier
- [LLODO] South Carolina shooting: Phillip Adams’ motivation remains mystery as police reveal 911 calls
- [LLODO] South Carolina shooting leaves doctor, family members dead; suspect nabbed