Carlos Espriu, 23, of Palm Desert, entered his plea via a Zoom hearing before a federal judge. He allegedly used a baseball bat to break the windows of the East Valley Republican Women Federated office in La Quinta on May 31, 2020, before lighting three Molotov cocktails.
He threw a device inside the building but left when it didn’t light, authorities said. Later, Espriu returned and threw the bombs again, causing the building to catch fire, officials said.
Days before the incident, he allegedly tweeted: “I wanna go burn s— n get hit with tear gas.”
In an effort to evade authorities, Espriu allegedly shaved his facial hair to hide his identity after he was captured on surveillance video.
As part of his plea, he agreed to pay $5,426 in restitution. He faces up to 20 years in prison when he is sentenced May 24.
- [LLODO] Daunte Wright shooting: Ex-Minnesota police officer Kim Potter to make first court appearance
- [LLODO] Ex-Minnesota police officer Kim Potter released from jail after posting $100G bond
- [LLODO] Ohio mother charged with murder after son’s body found decomposing under pile of clothes
- [LLODO] Louisiana man arrested in connection with cold case murder of Courtney Coco
- [LLODO] Connecticut police met with ‘heavy gunfire’ during hourslong standoff, suspect dead
- [LLODO] Former Minnesota officer Kim Potter may face charges in death of Daunte Wright
- [LLODO] 3 women shot, 2 fatally, in DC apartment set on fire; baby rescued
- [LLODO] Connecticut police met with ‘heavy gunfire’ during hours long standoff, suspect dead
- [LLODO] CA police: Asian man charged after attempting to assault Asian woman ‘because he thought she was white’