California police arrested a man after his “badly injured” wife called 911 to report that her husband had allegedly tried to kill her by throwing her in the water and then burying her alive, authorities recently said.
The woman called the City of Coronado Police Department just before 9 p.m. local time Wednesday, telling dispatchers “her husband had just tried to kill her on the beach,” officials said in a Facebook post announcing the alleged crime.
Officers arrived at the Ocean Boulevard location to discover the victim on the sidewalk, badly injured.
Police believe the couple began arguing while at the beach earlier in the night, at which point “the suspect began attacking his wife,” they said.
After unsuccessfully trying to throw the woman in the water, the suspect purportedly buried her alive in a hole in the sand, police said.
The woman was able to escape and ran off toward the street, where a bystander discovered her on the sidewalk and helped her call 911.
Responders took her to an area hospital for treatment. Her husband, identified as 23-year-old Moreno Valley resident Jose Luis Mares III, was charged with attempted murder, assault causing great bodily injury, domestic violence, false imprisonment and a parole violation, police said.
Records show he is now being held in San Diego Central Jail.
- [LLODO] Missing California mother’s family holds prayer march: ‘We will bring Maya home and justice will be served’
- [LLODO] California mother suspected of killing 3 kids ‘unwell’ for months, family member says; father ‘devastated’
- [LLODO] Missing California mother’s family, friends and coworkers hold massive search
- [LLODO] Missing California mother Maya Millete sought advice about divorce attorneys on day she went missing
- [LLODO] Former California Democratic mayor arrested for sexual assault crimes against minor
- [LLODO] California’s iconic Highway 1 to reopen ahead of schedule after mudslide damage
- [LLODO] Quick-thinking California cop turns up heat on knife-wielding suspect in Oakland airport
- [LLODO] Missing California mother’s brother-in-law: I’ve ‘lost all faith’ in Chula Vista PD, but ‘we will not give up’
- [LLODO] California man accused of propping up dead wife for kids on Christmas is convicted of murder: DA