A pipe bomb and zip gun loaded with a 12-gauge shotgun shell were discovered in front of an elementary school Tuesday morning just as children were about to arrive, according to the county sheriff’s office.
An employee at Sacramento’s Ethel I. Baker Elementary School discovered two devices on the sidewalk in front of the school around 8:20 a.m. and alerted authorities. Sgt. Rod Grassmann told Fox News that the two devices were a pipe sealed at both ends and a “zip gun.”
Sheriff’s deputies and the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team arrived at the scene, determined that both devices were real and rendered them safe.
Officers found gasoline, shrapnel, and fireworks, inside the pipe bomb, while the homemade gun was loaded with a 12-gauge shotgun shell.
Grassman told Fox News that the school is not in regular session but is being used for programs to help dozens of children who come from homes without internet access for learning. Those students were about to arrive at the school when the two devices were found.
Grassman said calls were made to let parents know the day was canceled and that some people were turned around and asked to come back another day.
“It’s unreal that we actually go in and find two live-armed devices. That is unreal, I think,” Grassman said. “That zip gun had a 12-gauge round in it. So, if you were to pick that up and then drop it on its primer, that would go off like a shotgun blast.”
Grassman told Fox News that the sheriff’s office is piecing together all of the evidence available to identity a suspect.
- [LLODO] California standoff ends after 5 hours with arrest of slain woman’s estranged husband: reports
- [LLODO] California Highway Patrol dog helps uncover 81 pounds of meth, 11 pounds of fentanyl tablets
- [LLODO] Kristin Smart case: No pleas entered for ‘prime suspect’ Paul Flores, father in first court appearance
- [LLODO] California ethnic studies pitch denounces US as a ‘parasitic system’ based on the ‘invasion’ of White settlers
- [LLODO] California gold rush town votes to remove controversial nickname and logo
- [LLODO] California promotes ‘dismantling racism in mathematics’ guidance in draft for statewide framework
- [LLODO] Missing California hiker found safe after public helps rescuers trace location of photo he sent friend
- [LLODO] California school district to vote on whether high-speed broadband is a human right
- [LLODO] Former California Democratic mayor charged with multiple sex crimes against child