Biden nominated Gayle Conelly Manchin to co-chair the Appalachian Regional Commission, an economic development partnership with 13 states designed to boost investment in the Appalachian Region.
Manchin is an educator, past president of West Virginia’s State Board of Education and the former first lady of West Virginia.
She’s been married for 53 years to Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., a critical vote in the Senate for Biden if he wants to get any of his major legislative priorities passed.
With Democrats holding the slimmest of majorities with a 50-50 split and Vice President Kamala Harris casting the tie-breaking vote, Manchin’s influence in the Senate has grown tremendously.
As a moderate from a red state, Manchin has openly pushed back on some of the Democrats’ boldest ideas, including the $15 minimum wage, eliminating the filibuster and far-reaching gun control legislation. His resistance has forced concessions.
For example, during the passage of $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief legislation where Democrats needed to be totally united, Manchin and the White House were in negotiations that ultimately led to reducing the amount of unemployment insurance benefits in the final package that passed along party lines.
The Appalachian Regional Commission includes the governors of each of the 13 Appalachian states and the Federal Co-Chairperson who is appointed by the president and confirmed by the Senate. It operates with about a $165 million budget.
It was not immediately clear when Manchin’s confirmation vote would come before the Senate.
- [LLODO] Arizona AG sues Biden administration over immigration policies that harm the environment
- [LLODO] Biden taps Tucson, Arizona, police chief Chris Magnus as CBP nominee
- [LLODO] Biden tells Georgia to ‘smarten up’ to avoid losing business over new election law
- [LLODO] Biden leans close to tell someone to socially distance, ‘which I’m not doing’
- [LLODO] Christie accuses Biden of ‘doing exactly’ what he accused Trump of: ‘Lying to cause racial divisions’
- [LLODO] DNC launches billboard blitz to sell Biden’s $1.9T coronavirus relief law
- [LLODO] Women’s rights groups back transgender athletes competing in female sporting events
- [LLODO] Georgia Sen. Ossoff rejects Biden’s baseball boycott over new voting law
- [LLODO] Biden says he’d ‘strongly support’ MLB moving All-Star game out of Atlanta over Georgia election law