The chain reaction smash-up occurred just after 8:30 a.m. when a white van hit a black sedan, sending the car hurtling through the dining area at the intersection of East 50th Street and Second Avenue.
The van kept going, plowing into another structure, police said.
Videos on Citizen app show the dramatic aftermath — piles of debris scattered in the intersection just outside a Starbucks, as well as a traffic light and street sign that were mowed down.
Airbags inside the sedan, which had front-end damage, were deployed.
A driver was taken into custody and may have been under the influence, police said.
The FDNY said seven people — five adults and two kids — were taken to area hospitals with non-life threatening injuries.
No one was in the outdoor dining area at the time of the crash, police said.
This report originally appeared in the New York Post.
- [LLODO] New York men harassing, mocking NYPD cops in alarming video
- [LLODO] NYC Mayor de Blasio defends $2B COVID relief fund for illegal immigrants
- [LLODO] New York City tourist hit by stray bullet near Times Square
- [LLODO] 9-year-old placed ‘heartbreaking’ 911 call amid Brooklyn murder-suicide: cops
- [LLODO] Asian hate crimes in NYC skyrocketed in March; murders jumped 36%, police say
- [LLODO] NYC doormen fired after failing to help Asian woman during Midtown attack
- [LLODO] 5-year-old girl shot while playing on NYC sidewalk
- [LLODO] NYC ambulance crash leaves 9 injured, 1 critically: video
- [LLODO] NYPD gives cops new orders to let people smoke weed in public