Daylon Burnett, 15, was shot at a Watson Chapel Junior High in Pine Bluff, about 44 miles south of Little Rock. It was the first day back for in-person instruction.
Officers arrived at the school and found Burnett with gunshot wounds. He was taken to Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock.
Burnett’s death was confirmed by Little Rock’s Fox 16 and the Watson Chapel School District.
“It is with great sadness that according to the mother’s Facebook page, Daylon Burnett has passed away,” the Watson Chapel School District wrote on its Facebook page. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.”
Police said the shooter was another 15-year-old student. He was found on a nearby street after the shooting and taken into custody. Officials said he will be tried as an adult with first-degree battery.
Police have described Monday’s shooting as “targeted,” though the motive remains uncertain.
Authorities have not released the suspect’s name. He is being held in lieu of a $1 million bond, KFVS 12 reported. His next court appearance is scheduled for April 12.
Police said they will have additional officers at the school this week as students return for in-person instruction.
- [LLODO] California woman stabbed to death ID’s estranged husband as alleged attacker before dying
- [LLODO] California mom Liliana Carrillo claims she killed 3 kids to shield them from dad: report
- [LLODO] Dominican citizen sentenced for assaulting ICE officer, biting tip off ring finger, agency says
- [LLODO] California man charged with murder 5 weeks after woman, 8-year-old found stabbed to death
- [LLODO] Daunte Wright shooting: Ex-Minnesota police officer Kim Potter to make first court appearance
- [LLODO] Ex-Minnesota police officer Kim Potter released from jail after posting $100G bond
- [LLODO] Ohio mother charged with murder after son’s body found decomposing under pile of clothes
- [LLODO] Louisiana man arrested in connection with cold case murder of Courtney Coco
- [LLODO] Connecticut police met with ‘heavy gunfire’ during hourslong standoff, suspect dead