The state is the national leader in the number of cases of COVID-19 by population despite increasing vaccinations.
“We all have to step up our game for the next two weeks to bring down rising cases, and that is why I am calling on high schools to voluntarily go remote for the next two weeks past spring break, calling on youth sports to voluntarily suspend games and practices for two weeks,” the governor said during a press conference.
She also called on all Michiganders to avoid dining and gathering indoors for the next two weeks.
“Support your local restaurants by eating outside or getting carryout instead of dining indoors. Opt for small outdoor gatherings with masks,” she said.
Whitmer added that the recommendations are not requirements or mandates and that a year into the pandemic, “we all know what works, and this has to be a team effort.”
As of Friday afternoon, Michigan recorded 2,218 new cases and is averaging nearly 233 cases and 128 deaths per 100,000 residents over the last seven days, according to the latest Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data.
The New York Times’ list of top-10 cities where the outbreak is the worst includes nine Michigan cities as of Friday afternoon.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Michigan’s top health official travels to Alabama after Whitmer spring break warning
- [LLODO] Michigan coronavirus strategy should focus on restrictions, not more vaccine supply, Walensky says
- [LLODO] Michigan governor’s top aide vacations in Florida, despite Whitmer’s travel warning
- [LLODO] Biden administration denies Whitmer’s request for extra vaccines as COVID cases surge in Michigan
- [LLODO] Michigan HS sports group says no to Whitmer call for 2-week break: ‘We’re going to play’
- [LLODO] Michigan postal worker attacked, video shows; police launch investigation
- [LLODO] Racist graffiti in Michigan dorm written by Black student: report
- [LLODO] Michigan deputies rescue abandoned 4-month-old left in woods