A 2-year-old boy was slugged in the face by a violent panhandler on a Manhattan subway train — just the latest in a recent spike of city transit violence, police and law-enforcement sources said Sunday.
The toddler was sitting on his mother’s lap on a northbound C train at Douglas Boulevard and West 116th Street in Manhattan shortly after 3 p.m. Saturday when a female beggar walked between train-car doors and started asking passengers for money, according to cops and sources.
“Can you please stay 6 feet away?” the boy’s mom asked the panhandler, sources told The Post.
The suspect proceeded to step on the mom’s left foot, sources said.
When the mother asked her, “Why did you step on me?” the suspect began throwing punches, hitting the 2-year-old, sources said.
A witness told police she had to pull the suspect off the mom and kid — who suffered minor visible injuries to his face and ear, sources said.
The attacker, described as in her 40s, fled the train when it reached the station, police said.
The injured child was taken to Mount Sinai-Saint Luke’s Hospital by ambulance for treatment, police sources said. He has since been released, sources said.
The suspect was described as a heavy-set woman with a neck tattoo and buzzcut who was last seen wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, washed-out jeans, boots and a white face mask, sources said.
To read more from The New York Post, click here.
- [LLODO] NYC judge overturns convictions for 3 men in 1996 murder of off-duty cop, business owner
- [LLODO] NYC releases records of more than 83,000 NYPD officer complaints
- [LLODO] At least 7 injured in New York as vehicle plows through outdoor dining area
- [LLODO] Cuomo rips de Blasio, NYC amid apology over sex harassment claims
- [LLODO] NYC mother who abandoned four-year-old on the street released from jail
- [LLODO] NYC cops arrest mom of girl found alone on Bronx street corner
- [LLODO] New York UPS workers slashed on subway after argument turns violent
- [LLODO] Girl, 4, found alone on NYC sidewalk is still unclaimed three days later
- [LLODO] New York City detectives’ widows call on Cuomo, Dems to fix bail reform law