Star Wars: left many lingering questions. Specifically: How did Emperor Palpatine survive Return of the Jedi? Those loose ends, , are slowly being sewn up. Enter Disney with a novelization of The Rise of Skywalker.
Written by Star Wars universe writer Rae Carson, the novel explains the Emperor’s spirit was transferred into a clone of his body. In Return of the Jedi, Darth Vader throws Palpatine down a reactor shaft after the Emperor tortures his son Luke Skywalker.
On the planet Exegol where Kylo Ren encounters Palpatine at the beginning of The Rise of Skywalker, he inspects all that machinery. According to the book, he recognizes it from his studies of the Clone Wars:
“All the vials were empty of liquid save one, which was nearly depleted. Kylo peered closer. He’d seen this apparatus before, too, when he’d studied the Clone Wars as a boy. The liquid flowing into the living nightmare before him was fighting a losing battle to sustain the Emperor’s putrid flesh.”
Ren then realizes the cloned body is housing the Emperor’s “actual spirit.” But the body won’t last.
“‘What could you give me?’ Kylo asked. Emperor Palpatine lived, after a fashion, and Kylo could feel in his very bones that this clone body sheltered the Emperor’s actual spirit. It was an imperfect vessel, though, unable to contain his immense power. It couldn’t last much longer.”
The book won’t be available in bookstores until March 17, but early copies were sold at this weekend’s “pop culture event” C2E2 in Chicago and passages surfaced online.
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com