A bipartisan group of US senators is urging British lawmakers to reconsider their government’s decision to allow equipment from China’s Huawei to be used on its network. In a letter sent to the House of Commons on Tuesday, 20 Republican and Democratic senators voiced the latest US opposition to the plan.
“Given the significant security, privacy, and economic threats posed by Huawei, we strongly urge the United Kingdom to revisit its recent decision, take steps to mitigate the risks of Huawei, and work in close partnership with the US on such efforts going forward,” the senators said in the letter.
Among senators signing the letter were New York Democrat Chuck Schumer; Richard Burr, the Republican chairman of the Intelligence Committee; and Virginia Democrat Mark Warner. A bipartisan group of members of the House of Representatives sent a similar letter in January.
Huawei is the world’s second-largest phone manufacturer by volume, but it has struggled to make a dent in the US. This is partly because of concerns expressed by the government, including the House Intelligence Committee. The US has that Huawei maintains a with the Chinese government, creating fear that equipment from these manufacturers could be used to spy on other countries and companies., the and
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s government decided in January to give the “non-contentious” parts of the UK’s next-generation wireless infrastructure. That move ran contrary to the position of US President Donald Trump, who because of its alleged links to the Chinese government.access to
A Huawei representative didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com