The US has now more than 2 million confirmed cases of tracking numbers from the John Hopkins University and Medicine Coronavirus Research Center, bringing the country to a somber milestone in the . As of early Thursday, there have been nearly 113,000 deaths, more than 533,000 people have recovered and over 21 million have been tested across the nation., according to
It comes six weeks after the US reached, and 13,000 people have died in the .
The novel strain of coronavirus, which can develop into a respiratory illness known as COVID-19, was discovered in Wuhan, China, in late 2019 and has spread worldwide. As of Thursday, more than 7.3 million people have tested positive and over 416,000 have died worldwide and nearly 3.5 million have recovered.
Coronavirus reopenings: How it looks as lockdowns ease around the world
The US has seen the highest number of cases and deaths. Brazil has the second highest number of confirmed cases — over 772,000 — while the UK has recorded the second highest number of deaths at more than 41,000. A vaccine may not arrive.
On Sunday, death of George Floyd on May 25.were reported to the WHO (the most in a single day so far), largely driven by outbreaks in the Americas and South Asia. It came as protesters across the globe to demand an end to police brutality and systemic racism, following the
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO’s director-general, voiced support for the movement against racism, and urged those protesting “to do so safely.”
In March, the US government shuttered businesses and required residents to stay indoors to slow the virus’ spread. In recent weeks, the economy has, with many states following a multistage roadmap in relaxing rules that apply to businesses such as movie theaters and hair salons.
If you’re concerned that you might have contracted the coronavirus, the CDC hasto help you decide whether to get a test. You may have it if you’re suffering from coughing or shortness of breath. You could also be infected if you have two of these symptoms:
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
Here’s how toand how the disease can .
Black Lives Matter. Visit blacklivesmatters.carrd.co to learn how to donate, sign petitions and protest safely.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about a medical condition or health objectives.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing