Twitter and Square CEO Jack Dorsey said in a tweet Tuesday that he’ll be moving $1 billion of his Square equity to fund relief for COVID-19, the disease caused by the newly identified . After the pandemic passes, he added, the money will fund girls’ health and education, as well as universal basic income.
Dorsey shared a Google Sheets link where people can track where the money goes.
“Why pull just from Square and not Twitter?” Dorsey wrote in a follow-up tweet. “Simply: I own a lot more Square. And I’ll need to pace the sales over some time. The impact this money will have should benefit both companies over the long-term because it’s helping the people we want to serve.”
In addition, Dorsey is co-funding $4.2 million with Rihanna’s Clara Lional Foundation for the Mayor’s Fund LA “to address the current crisis for domestic violence victims in Los Angeles as a result of the COVID-19 Safer at Home Order,” they announced Thursday afternoon.
Tech companies that have contributed to COVID-19 relief efforts include Apple, which reportedly $100 million to food banks in the US., and Samsung, which is providing funding and medical supplies as well as . The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation said it’s , and the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative said it’ll give . Additionally, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is donating
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com