President Donald Trump on Friday declared a national emergency in an attempt to speed up response to the. The president said the move will open up access to $50 billion in federal funds for states, territories and localities in the shared fight against the coronavirus.
“I am officially declaring a national emergency. Two very big words,” Trump said from the White House on Friday afternoon.
Trump urged every state to immediately set up emergency operations centers and said the government will give doctors, hospitals and health care facilities maximum flexible to respond to the outbreak, including waiving laws to enable tele-health services and allow doctors to work in states with the greatest needs.
As of Thursday, there were more than 1,600 cases of coronavirus reported in the US and 41 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Concerns over the spread of the virus have led to the . Some schools have shut down, and many companies have asked employees to .
On Wednesday, Trump announced restrictions that prohibit travel from Europe to the US, in an effort to prevent the spread of the virus and the respiratory disease it causes, COVID-19. Earlier Wednesday, the had officially declared the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic.
The new strain of coronavirus has infected more than 136,000 people and caused more than 5,000 deaths globally.
The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
- Springwoods Village evolves with tech giant relocation, new housing options – Community Impact Newspaper
- Tech and Innovation Councils to Boost Cheyenne Development – Governing
- Virginia Tech 2021 spring position previews: Defensive end – Roanoke Times
- WHAT THE TECH? What parents need to know about child predators online – WRCB-TV
- 10 things in tech you need to know today – Business Insider
- Double down on epicenter stocks and avoid Big Tech, market bull Tom Lee suggests – CNBC
- California tech company joins ProMedica to bring innovation center to Toledo – WTVG
- Biden will review tech supply chains to reduce dependence on China – Yahoo Tech
- VIDEO: Georgia Tech-Virginia Tech Highlights – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site