Donald Trump has suggested Google might be working treasonously with China and claimed he would look into the matter.
In a tweet on Tuesday the US president – claiming to quote Fox News – said the tech billionaire Peter Thiel “believes Google should be investigated for treason. He accuses Google of working with the Chinese government.”
He added that the PayPal co-founder – a Trump supporter – was “a great and brilliant guy who knows this subject better than anyone”, and claimed: “The Trump administration will take a look!”
Riva Sciuto, a spokeswoman for Google, said: “As we have said before, we do not work with the Chinese military. We are working with the US government, including the Department of Defense, in many areas including cybersecurity, recruiting and healthcare.”
Trump’s comments came as a House judiciary subcommittee prepared to hold a bipartisan investigation into the market power of Facebook, Google, Amazon and Apple.
Congress will begin two days of hearings on Tuesday on the digital currency planned by Facebook, to be called Libra, starting with the Senate banking committee.
Over the weekend, Thiel said the FBI and CIA should open an investigation into Google.
According to the Axios website, Thiel said Google was “engaged in the seemingly treasonous decision to work with the Chinese military and not with the US military”.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’