Self-isolation to help curbhas been a big adjustment for many people. Fortunately, astronauts have tons of experience living in small spaces with limited resources and have been from their time in space.
Astrobiologist(Hawaii Space Exploration Analog and Simulation), a white dome that sits atop the Mauna Loa volcano on the island of Hawaii. NASA and other space agencies have used this habitat to help astronauts, scientists and researchers prepare for life on the moon and Mars.
Musilova has been the commander on dozens of missions and shares her advice for adapting to a life in isolation in the video above.
Up to six people can live in the HI-SEAS habitat at one time, and the entire crew is isolated from the outside world for weeks to months at a time, depending on the mission. You have limited contact with the outside world (think email or video chat on delay) and a finite supply of food you have to make last for the length of the mission.
Some of her top tips? Like astronauts who have to suit up and don protective gear before venturing outside, Musilova suggests you treat a face mask like a space helmet so you avoid touching your face. “If you ever have trouble breathing, it’s really important to slow down, take deep breaths and calm down,” she says. In the video on this page, Musilova also covers some ways to help manage your time and how to maximize your living space.
My favorite takeaway from talking with Musilova? Answering the “Why are we doing this?” question that even astronauts ask themselves during a mission. “Everything we’re doing will serve this greater purpose of helping humanity,” she says. “You’re doing the same thing today by staying home and self-isolating. You’re saving people’s lives.”
- What the Tech? Amazon Smart Shelf | Video | wfmz.com – WFMZ Allentown
- Tech Stocks Lead Wall Street Lower as Bond Yields Rise – The New York Times
- NCAA overturns sanctions against Georgia Tech men’s basketball program on appeal – ESPN
- Insurers will grow their tech spend in the next few years – Business Insider
- Startups Under 30: Riju Thomas, RNJ Tech – Jacksonville Daily Record
- Tech Opens ACC Play with Trip to NC State – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- The SAFE Tech Act Wouldn’t Make the Internet Safer for Users – EFF
- What to watch today: Stocks try to recover from Thursday’s tech-led rout – CNBC
- 10 Things in Tech You Need to Know Today Business Insider – Business Insider