Update: The discount briefly expired, but we worked some magic and managed to get the deal refreshed — so if it didn’t work for you before, it will likely work now.
Mesh networks solve a problem that seems to plague virtually everyone: They plug the inevitable dead zones in your house without adding Wi-Fi extenders, which never work very well and introduce their own annoyances. CNET has rounded up the, and while they’re great, they tend to cost $250 or more. Here’s an affordable alternative: The . It usually sells for $170, but you can save $40 by clipping the coupon on the product page and then using discount code HJJC5RWD at checkout.
Rock Space says this system can cover about 5,400 square feet, or a three-story home, and push Wi-Fi into the garage and basement. Like any mesh router, it gives you a single SSID for your whole home (that’s the downside of Wi-Fi extenders — SSIDs that change depending upon where you are in the house) and is easy to set up and configure via a mobile app. The dual channels give you both 2.4 and 5GHz networks, and it’s rated for 1,167 megabits per second.
The satellites themselves don’t look like routers at all; as small black cubes, they look more like small speakers and aren’t unattractive, so you can place them on shelves or desktops around the house without worrying too much about aesthetics.
The deal price of $130 makes the Rock Space router kit priced close to the dual-band Netgear Orbi mentioned in the best for 2020 list, but the Orbit only has two satellites, while Rock Space includes three. That said, if theflat at Walmart right now.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our .
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing