Update: The discount briefly expired, but we worked some magic and managed to get the deal refreshed — so if it didn’t work for you before, it will likely work now.
Mesh networks solve a problem that seems to plague virtually everyone: They plug the inevitable dead zones in your house without adding Wi-Fi extenders, which never work very well and introduce their own annoyances. CNET has rounded up the, and while they’re great, they tend to cost $250 or more. Here’s an affordable alternative: The . It usually sells for $170, but you can save $40 by clipping the coupon on the product page and then using discount code HJJC5RWD at checkout.
Rock Space says this system can cover about 5,400 square feet, or a three-story home, and push Wi-Fi into the garage and basement. Like any mesh router, it gives you a single SSID for your whole home (that’s the downside of Wi-Fi extenders — SSIDs that change depending upon where you are in the house) and is easy to set up and configure via a mobile app. The dual channels give you both 2.4 and 5GHz networks, and it’s rated for 1,167 megabits per second.
The satellites themselves don’t look like routers at all; as small black cubes, they look more like small speakers and aren’t unattractive, so you can place them on shelves or desktops around the house without worrying too much about aesthetics.
The deal price of $130 makes the Rock Space router kit priced close to the dual-band Netgear Orbi mentioned in the best for 2020 list, but the Orbit only has two satellites, while Rock Space includes three. That said, if theflat at Walmart right now.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our .
- Here’s a 16,000-mAh power bank with USB-C and USB-A outputs for just $20
- Ford Bronco may not go global, may stick to North America, report says
- Intel Tiger Lake chips mean faster PCs with longer battery life for 2020
- Discover your family tree by saving up to $50 on a DNA test
- Save $120 on this highly reviewed cordless stick vacuum
- HBO Max adds racist-language disclaimer to Blazing Saddles
- NASA telescope uncovers the cause of Betelgeuse’s mysterious dimming
- NASA shows off best Mars orbiter images from the past 15 years
- Why The Sims reality show Spark’d is groundbreaking for gamers