Gaming headsets can get seriously expensive, and it’s not hard to find headphones costing $300 or more. But do you need to spend that much money? Of course not, and the Plantronics Rig 400Hx is a great example of why. They sound good — much better than their modest price tag would imply. And right now, you can get thewhen you apply discount code CNETPLR at checkout. That’s 37% off the original list price and even quite a bit cheaper than the $59 it’s selling for at Amazon.
This headset is from Plantronics’ budget line, and it does make some compromises. The headband is perhaps the weirdest I’ve ever seen, for example — rather than a continuously adjustable band, the earcups snap into one of three different positions. So the fit might not be perfect. And there’s no headset adapter in the box, which means you’ll probably need to buy one if you want to use this headset on a PC. But it’s designed for the Xbox first and foremost, and on that front it works fine. CNET hasn’t fully reviewed these headphones, but I have, and I found them to punch well above their weight when it comes to raw sound quality (wearability is a different issue). And Amazon customers give it 4.1 stars and it’s an Amazon’s Choice.
Right now, you can even choose between the black and camo finish, though that might not last as the inventory drops.
This article was first published earlier this week.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our .
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing