It looks as though Google is set to release an entirely new smart speaker this year. We got a new Android Police Thursday, photos of Google’s next Nest-branded smart speaker are floating now around the internet.last year, with sound improvement and other incremental updates. As reported by
The newest device recently went through the FCC with the name GXCA6, but the filing doesn’t have many details. We’re also expecting anfrom Google this year, reportedly codenamed Sabrina. But this doesn’t appear to be it.
The speaker in question has also been documented with a Japanese regulator, spotted by Android TV Guide on Twitter, and that database offers a few more hints at just what we might be getting.
The speaker is referred to as an “interactive media streaming device,” which sounds like a fancy name for smart speaker. Included file photos show it has the familiar fabric covering of past speakers, but a much different profile. This fabric wraps all the way around the device, suggesting that it might stand vertically when in use. A photo beside a ruler indicates that the speaker is about 8.7 inches (220mm) long, making it quite tall for the smart speaker line and about 5.9 inches (150mm) wide.
Documentation also confirms that there will be Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities, and a 30-watt DC power supply. There’s still no apparent USB-C port or aux input. Other features are familiar, like the silicone base and the G logo halfway up the back of the speaker. A mute switch is also visible in the photos.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
It’s been four years since the firstsmart speaker, and we’ve seen several since then, including the , and , as well as the emergence of smart displays such as the and .
Google this year canceled its annual I/O developer conference, typically held in May. Perhaps we’ll get confirmation of the new speaker with an official announcement in the fall.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20’s biggest feature is actually OS updates. Let me explain
- The best battery-powered security cameras for 2020
- The best gas grill of 2020: Weber, Char-Broil and more models we love
- Hydrogen supercar concept debuts, 2020 Chevy Corvette driven: Roadshow week in review
- Europe’s largest 3D-printer just made its first two-story house
- iPhone 11 vs. iPhone XS: Depends on which phone you already own
- Can you Facetune a video? You can now, and here’s how its new iPhone app works
- In Lovecraft Country on HBO, racial commentary meets witches and vampires
- Ted Lasso: You don’t need to love soccer to love Jason Sudeikis’ new comedy