Interested in the? Apple’s latest is now on sale everywhere starting at $399. Before you pay full price, however, check this out: For a limited time, and while supplies last, and then give you a $200 Mastercard credit, bringing your net price down to $184. That makes this the best deal I’ve seen, and by a wide margin.
Update, May 12: After selling out of its initial batch of inventory, the carrier now has all colors and configurations back in stock.
Visible runs on Verizon’s network and offers just one mobile plan: unlimited everything for $40 a month. There’s no contract on that, though you do have to subscribe for at least two months in order to qualify for the credit.
That credit comes in the form of a Prepaid Mastercard Virtual Account, which is basically an electronic debit card you can use for online purchases. You can’t use it to buy, say, food at the grocery store or gas at a gas station, but otherwise it’s as good as cash.
One other thing to note: While Visible’s $40 plan is already pretty competitive, the carrier’s Party Pay option drops the per-person rate to just $25 when you sign up with three others. Any three others; friends, family members, people you met on Zoom and so forth. It’s like a family plan, but with a very broad definition of “family.”
Meanwhile, if you decide after two months that you want out, you can take the iPhone SE elsewhere. I’ve been assured, repeatedly, that the phones are sold unlocked.
So although you have to pay $384 up front, you get $200 of it back after two months. You’re not roped into any kind of extended lease or contract, and you can actually use the phone for as little as $25 per month.
If there’s something not to like here, I haven’t found it.
Originally published last month. Updated to reflect replenished inventory.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our .
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing