That’s a 17-mile improvement over the previous Model S Long Range Plus variant, the most affordable version. Those eying a Model S Performance will still find the same 348-mile range attached to them.
The news came as a surprise after Musk commented during the automaker’s fourth-quarter earnings call that the car would likely ring in around 380 miles of range. In a double surprise, he revealed Tesla’s been building the cars for at least a couple of months with the elevated range ratings. According to Musk’s tweet, owners will have the extra range unlocked via a free software upgrade at some point.
Tesla didn’t immediately respond to Roadshow’s request for comment on when owners can expect the upgrade.
Thegets in on the upgrades, too. The Long Range Plus model now boasts an EPA-estimated 351 miles of range, up 23 miles. Like the Model S, it’ll get a free software upgrade as well.
Notably, these updates come on the heels of Musk’s comments declaring 400 miles of range is very much in reach. As for how Tesla’s getting there, Musk explained on Twitter that numerous “hardware improvements” are the keys here. They’ve been implemented “gradually over the past several months,” he added.
Should Tesla continue its advances, it may not be long before we do see an EV with 400 miles of range. Before then, Tesla does have fresh competition in the race to 400 miles, however. Lucid Motors plans to unveil its productionthis April, and it should go .
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com