Details on where this facility will plant roots are slim, though rumors circulated about the Nashville, Tennessee, area. All the while, though, Missouri’s been working hard to court Tesla. On Monday, Toby Teeter, Joplin, Missouri’s Chamber President shared a new website via Twitter dedicated to persuade Tesla’s decision.
Among the benefits, Joplin touts lower labor costs, tax breaks, 1,000 acres worth of land at a discount and crucial access to essential logistics, such as trucking, rail and commercial air. Total, the incentives and savings amount to $1 billion, according to the local government.
The city also says it’s the best place for EV production with some local battery production already anchored in the area with a skilled workforce ready and willing to build the electric pickup truck that took the internet by storm last year.
It’s entirely unclear if Joplin is even on the shortlist, or if there is a shortlist at this time. Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment when asked about the status of aGigafactory. The automaker is, like so many others, working to mitigate the effects of the pandemic at current and reportedly furloughed last week.
But, if there will be a new production plant, I’d assume Tesla would need to decide sooner rather than later. The company previously said production will start in late 2021 for the. In 2022, it will begin production of more affordable versions. Production plants aren’t built overnight, so perhaps we’ll learn more about a new Tesla factory in the near future.
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com