It’s no secret that we love Roku — the interface and streaming channel selection are second to none, and there’s a version of Roku for every need and budget. Surprisingly, one of the best Roku models is also one of the oldest still in the lineup: Thewhen CNET reviewed it last fall. In fact, there were precious few nits, and probably not complaints most people would care about. That’s why I’m jazzed that I found it on sale. Usually priced at $50, right now the at Amazon.
Here are the basics: The Roku Streaming Stick Plus is a 4K UHD model, so you’ll get the most out of it if you have a 4K TV to plug it into. The slim little stick plugs into a free HDMI port behind your TV, out of sight, and can either be powered using a USB port on the TV or an AC adapter (though the AC adapter route is better since the Roku won’t need to boot from scratch each time you turn on your TV).
There’s a broad selection of 4K and 4K HDR content on Roku. Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Vudu, Apple TV and Fandango Now all support 4K HDR on Roku; apps with 4K (but not HDR) include Plex, UltraFlix, Toon Goggles, 4K Universe and Smithsonian, along with a handful of others. No one, not even Amazon Fire TV, can match that.
And it’s hard to beat the clean, simple, and platform-agnostic interface, which makes it easy to browse and search, and doesn’t favor or try to push any specific content or apps on you.
I’ve been using a Roku Streaming Stick Plus for a couple of years now, and I have never wanted to change, even though I frequently get to test other streaming players. So my advice is to grab this stick now, or if you miss the deal, keep your eyes open for the next time it rolls around (which probably won’t take too long).
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our .
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing