Sensor Tower has reportedly been collecting data from millions of people who’ve installed popular VPN and ad-blocking apps for iOS and Android. These apps don’t disclose their connection to the analytics firm or that they feed user data to Sensor Tower’s products, according to an investigation by BuzzFeed News published Tuesday.
Since 2015, Sensor Tower has also owned at least 20 apps that track user data, according to BuzzFeed News. Though many of these apps are no longer available, BuzzFeed News said it recently connected a handful of apps in the Google Play store to Sensor Tower, including Free and Unlimited VPN, Luna VPN, Mobile Data, and Adblock Focus. Two of these apps — Adblock Focus and Luna VPN — were also available in Apple’s App Store.
Sensor Tower offers “market intelligence and insights” related to mobile apps, for investors, developers and other people interested in on things like usage trends and app revenue. The company says its business is based on reporting high-level, macro trends, and that it doesn’t collect or store any personally identifiable information.
Nelson added that when installing apps, users are shown an “unambiguous disclaimer” that details what info is shared, but he said that based on feedback, the company is taking “immediate steps” to make Sensor Tower’s connection to the apps more clear.
Google is investigating the apps. Apple didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com