Amid the Samsung showed off prices and availability for its new . And one of the slides the company showed read, “OS updates up to 3 generations”.at its online Unpacked event earlier this month there was one moment toward the end that stood out. And no it wasn’t the when they showed off the . As the virtual show wrapped up,
This is a huge deal. Typically Android phone-makers promise one sometimes two major OS updates and two years of security updates. And that has always bugged me when I review Android phones, especially when Apple offers 5-6 years of OS updates and security patches.
Another way to look at it is that the Galaxy Note 20 was the most affordable phone Samsung showed off this month and it costs $1,000 (£849). And no matter how amazing it is, it’s hard to recommend anyone buy a $1,000 phone that will only be supported for 2 years. And keep in mind that the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra costs $1,300 (£1,179) and who knows how much the Galaxy Z Fold 2 will cost? The original Galaxy Fold cost $1,980 (£1,508).
Interestingly enough, the longer OS support applies to Samsung phones like the Galaxy S10 and newer. However, the term “three generations” is where there could be room for ambiguity. Does that mean three generations of Android OS like Android 10, 11 and 12? Or does that mean three generations of Galaxy devices like the S10, S20 and S30? And how long will it take Samsung to release three generations of updates?
Samsung’s new Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra come in a striking bronze shade
While there is still more to learn about Samsung’s commitment to more software updates, I hope other Android phone-makers follow suit with their phones.
For more about the products Samsung announced.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing