Can’t be at a big life event because of the robots. These Japanese university students refused to let the coronavirus lockdowns get in the way of celebrating their graduation ceremony.? Send in the
Business Breakthrough (BBT) University graduate students in Tokyo, who weren’t allowed to have a traditional graduation ceremony due to coronavirus concerns, used Newme telepresence robots (also referred to as ) to stand in their place.
Digital tablets were attached to the heads of the robots, showing the faces of students who used a to attend the graduation ceremony remotely. The event took place at the Hotel Grand Palace in Tokyo on March 28, according to Business Insider on Sunday.
Keeping in theme, the robots were also dressed in black hats and gowns for the graduation ceremony.
One of the unnamed students said in a statement on March 31, “When I enrolled, I never thought I would operate my avatar and attend the graduation ceremony. However, receiving a diploma in public is a novel experience.”
The Newme telepresence robots aren’t just useful for attending graduations, they also come in handy if you want to travel without leaving home.
Last year, All Nippon Airways revealed that it would use Newme telepresence robots to allow people towithout having to travel there in person. The robots would transmit high-definition 2K videos that let its human users see and interact with the bot’s surroundings.
Newme robots have also helped people with debilitating paralysis toin Japanese cafes.
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com