School used to be mostly about getting educated at school. Then came the moved 50 million students out of school and largely online in the US. The situation doesn’t promise a return to previous levels of classroom attendance any time soon, yet many believe online learning is a stopgap measure. Now what?pandemic, which
“There’s a lot of talk that full online distance learning doesn’t work,” said Hardeep Gulati, CEO of PowerSchool, an online education management tech company whose Schoology platform used by many schools. In an interview with CNET’s Brian Cooley, he said the comany’s data shows that schools that had already integrated an online education platform before the pandemic have 92% engagement rates with students now. That’s compared to 50% engagement at schools that had to adopt an online learning platform for the first time due to COVID-19.
While the Schoology platform is focused now on digital learning and school management, “I would choose not to replace physical interaction but to augment and empower teachers better,” Gulati said. “In a public school district, 40% of a teacher’s time goes into administrative tasks which can be automated so they can spend more time teaching.”
Nor does Gulati recommend his company’s platform as a way to conform or normalize one style of education or success measures. “One of the beauties of US education is that we don’t believe in a cookie cutter education. The challenge is how to capture all the energy and interaction in the classroom online. We allow every teacher to bring their (style of) instruction online.”
PowerSchool’s CEO shared many more insights about the intersection of education and online technology with CNET’s Brian Cooley, which you can see in the video above.
Now What is a video interview series with industry leaders, celebrities and influencers that covers trends impacting businesses and consumers amid the “new normal.” There will always be change in our world, and we’ll be here to discuss how to navigate it all.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing