Reddit has made good on its promise to hire a black board member to replace cofounder . Michael Seibel has joined the board of directors, Reddit announced Wednesday.
Seibel is CEO of seed capital firm Y Combinator, which helped launch Reddit, and he’s advised and funded almost 2,000 startups. He is known for pushing diversity and inclusion in the startup world.
The new Reddit board member, who holds a political science degree from Yale, previously served as finance director for former NAACP president Kweisi Mfume’s Senate campaign in 2006. He also cofounded the startups Justin.tv, which later, and Socialcam, a video platform that was sold to Autodesk.
Ohanian announced his resignation from the Reddit board on June 5, urging the company to fill his seat with a black candidate. His resignation followed criticism of Reddit on June 2 from former CEO Ellen Pao for “amplifying” racism and hate.
Reddit promised to honor Ohanian’s request and will also change its content policy to “explicitly address hate,” Reddit co-founder Steve Huffman said in a blog post Friday.
Ohanian, Huffman and Aaron Swartz cofounded the social networking site in 2005. After selling the company in 2006, Ohanian returned to Reddit in 2015. In 2018, he stepped away from daily duties but remained on Reddit’s board.
“I’ve known Steve and Alexis since 2007 and have been a Reddit user ever since,” Seibel said in a statement Wednesday. “Over this period of time I’ve watched Reddit become part of the core fabric of the internet and I’m excited to help provide advice and guidance.”
His appointment comes as Black Lives Matter protests continue across the US and globally as people demonstrate against the recent deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery, and against systemic racism.
Black Lives Matter. Visit blacklivesmatters.carrd.co to learn how to donate, sign petitions and protest safely.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing