If you’ve seen the Miguel Vasquez, you’ll be somewhat prepared to experience the world-rattling renders he made of Rick and Morty, the mad scientist and grandson from the Cartoon Network’s animated sci-fi comedy.created by digital artist
Vasquez unveiled his uncanny renditions on social media Saturday.
“I’ve gotten so many requests to do a Rick and Morty piece, but never did because I had never watched a Rick and Morty episode,” Vasquez told me. He watched the first episode to get a better sense of the characters and their personalities.
Based on the level of detail, you might think Vasquez is a superfan. Zoom in to enjoy the glossy drool on Rick’s chin.
“Much like Homer Simpson, I googled images of what Rick and Morty would look like in a hyper-realistic way with the body proportions that they have, but I couldn’t find any convincing ones,” Vasquez said. “So that’s when I gave it a shot and created my own version of them in a hyperrealistic way.” He used digital sculpting software ZBrush.
Vasquez seems to be exploring his own peculiar offshoot of the uncanny valley. The distance between humanity and exaggerated animated characters melts away. We see the wrinkles around eyes, the roughness of a tongue, the fall of a shirt’s fabric.
It’s disconcertingly close to ourselves. That’s why we can’t look away.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’