I regret buying my. Not because I don’t like it — in fact, I love it. But I bought it back in January when I moved into a new apartment, knowing the new fourth-generation version with Wi-Fi was just months away. I didn’t have the patience to wait, and now you can take advantage of the deal I’m missing out on because I was in such a hurry to smartify my apartment. Right now, you can get the .
Is that a good deal? Well, the new August lock’s price has been trending down for a while now, sticking the landing on new all-time-low prices on a regular basis since early in the month of August. About a week ago we appear to have hit price bedrock when it got to $203 and then shot up to $220. Today’s $209 price tag is close to the historic low and is a great deal on the new lock.
August has been making smart locks longer than almost anyone, and the new fourth-generation model is an updated version of the popular lock that put the company on the map. The “retrofit” approach means that the lock doesn’t replace your existing deadbolt, so you can still get in the house with your existing front door key if you want to, and the — 15 if you’re not handy with a screwdriver.
The new lock is about 45% smaller than the August Smart Lock Pro, but otherwise looks basically the same. And because it has integrated Wi-Fi, you don’t need to buy the $80 Connect accessory or sacrifice a nearby electrical outlet to plug it in. It’s completely self-contained. This new version also makes the switch from AA batteries, which can last the better part of a year, to CR123 cells, which will last about half as long. Want to learn more? Read CNET’s complete .
This article was first published earlier this year. It has been updated with the latest pricing.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our .
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing