Thecelebrates the best in filmmaking, but the nominee list left out quite a few female directors, so actress made both a fashion and feminist statement.
On the Oscars red carpet, Portman showed off a black and gold Dior Haute Couture outfit with a special touch. Embroidered in gold lettering on her cape were the last names of the female directors who were not nominated for their films — Scafaria, Wang, Gerwig, Diop, Heller, Matsoukas, Har’el and Sciamma.
None of the female directors Lorene Scafaria (Hustlers), Lulu Wang (The Farewell), Greta Gerwig ( ), Mati Diop (Atlantics), Marielle Heller (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood), Melina Matsoukas (Queen & Slim), Alma Har’el (Honey Boy) and Céline Sciamma (Portrait of a Lady on Fire) were nominated for best director.
In the history of the Academy Awards, only five women have been nominated for the best director: Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker), Lina Wertmüller (Seven Beauties), Jane Campion (The Piano), Sofia Coppola (Lost in Translation) and Gerwig (Lady Bird). Bigelow ended up being the only female director winner in 2010.
Portman is known for pointing out gender inequality at previous awards shows. At the 2018 Golden Globes, when she presented the best director category she said, “And here are the all-male nominees.”
Her ornate and poignant fashion statement caused a stir on social media.
“Her cape gives me life. I love her. Women directors have been snubbed time and time again and it’s enough!! Give them the representation and attention they deserve!” one fan tweeted.
“This… THIS is how you build women up. Well played Natalie Portman!” another fan tweeted.
- [LLODO] Ghislaine Maxwell offers to give up UK, French citizenship to get out of jail
- [LLODO] Ex-NYPD cop beat police officer with flag pole at Capitol riot: feds
- [LLODO] LinkedIn removes training seminar telling people to be ‘less white,’ following Coca-Cola backlash
- [LLODO] Will body cam footage of Tiger Woods’ harrowing rescue be released?
- [LLODO] El Chapo: What to know about convicted drug kingpin
- [LLODO] Mexican president says country faring better than US on coronavirus
- [LLODO] Romney calls Biden’s $1.9T COVID-19 relief bill a ‘clunker’
- [LLODO] Romney says Trump likely GOP nominee if he runs in 2024