The, set for later this month, will carry humans to space for the first time when a Crew Dragon takes two NASA astronauts to the International Space Station.
The company had another, more routine launch scheduled for this week, but on Monday said the planned Starlink flight will be postponed until after the historic mission. Calledafter a nearly decade-long hiatus.
“Standing down from the Starlink mission, due to tropical storm Arthur, until after launch of Crew Demo-2,” SpaceX tweeted.
The company initially delayed the eighth Starlink launch from Cape Canaveral in Florida until Tuesday due to the threat of wind and rains from the Atlantic storm, before opting to push the mission until after the May 27 blast-off of Demo-2.
It’s been nearly a year since SpaceX launched its first batch of, igniting a controversy over the surprising brightness of the orbiting routers that threatens to interfere with the observations of astronomers and other scientists.
The company experimented with putting a dark coating on the satellites to resolve the issue,. Then last month that a “sunshade” had been developed to address the problem. Dubbed VisorSat, the system is exactly what it sounds like: a set of darkened shades that can be deployed to keep the sun from glinting off the bright parts of each satellite.
Musk said the first VisorSats would be included in the next batch of 60 satellites, and that future launches should be made up of all VisorSats as soon as June.
It’s not clear how many of the satellites on the next Starlink launch will be equipped with the VisorSat system. SpaceX didn’t immediately respond to a request for clarification.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing