As the Netflix to switch its service from high definition to standard in an effort to reduce the strain on the internet, as previously reported by CNN. European Commissioner Thierry Breton tweeted that he’d spoken to Netflix boss Reed Hastings.forces people to work from home and children to stay out of school, the European Union is asking
“To secure Internet access for all, let’s #SwitchToStandard definition when HD is not necessary,” Breton wrote.
Netflix agreed to reduce streaming bit rates across Europe for 30 days later Thursday, according to AFP. “We estimate that this will reduce Netflix traffic on European networks by around 25 percent while also ensuring a good quality service for our members,” Breton reportedly said in response.
“I welcome the very prompt action that Netflix has taken to preserve the smooth functioning of the internet during the COVID19 crisis while maintaining a good experience for users,” Breton said. “Hastings has demonstrated a strong sense of responsibility and solidarity.”
In the US, carriers haveto help people communicate during the outbreak.
The new strain of coronavirus, which can develop into a respiratory illness known as, was discovered in Wuhan, China, in December. It’s now infected and caused more than 8,800 deaths globally. The US has more than 9,400 confirmed cases
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com