My favorite part of being a grown-up in the 21st century is controlling all the stuff in my home by voice command. If you have your own smart home, you know what I’m talking about. But here’s what annoys me: Sometimes I’ll need just one solitary outlet, and to save money, I’ll end up having to buy a two-pack or even a four-pack. What if you only need one? Well, right now. Need a single smart plug? $7. Done and done.
If $7 sounds like a good price, I agree: It is. It’s currently down from the regular price of $9. You can find some multipacks in which the price averages out to $7, but good luck finding a single plug for less. (Yes, there are some crazy-cheap smart plugs on Amazon, but this is the cheapest from a major, reputable brand with credible customer reviews.
Plugs like this one from Gosund are especially friendly because they require no hub or control center; they operate independently via your home Wi-Fi network. Just plug one into a standard wall outlet and then connect a lamp or appliance into it. You can then control what’s plugged in via Alexa, Google Home or Siri, or just use the Gosund app on your phone. And that’s just for starters — you can also run the device on a timer or schedule it to operate at certain times of day. Your home is your oyster, so to speak.
This article was originally published earlier this week.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our .
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing