After being severely criticised for howlers by the umpires in domestic cricket, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has decided to enhance technological assistance for Ranji Trophy knock-outs this season.
“The idea is to eradicate as many howlers as possible. If we can achieve that, then we can go ahead with it. That is why we are introducing it only for the knock-out stages for the coming season,” Saba Karim, BCCI general manager-cricket operations, told The Hindu.
It is understood that despite the BCCI’s initiative to get rid of howlers, it will not be able to use the highly expensive Hawk-Eye and UltraEdge, a must for DRS in international cricket. Karim remained non-committal when asked if the technology will used for lbw decisions.
“That we will decide once we have a meeting with the umpires, match referees and broadcasters. What I am trying to say right now is with whatever technology we have, we will try and use that for the DRS. Whether it is lbw or something else, it will be up to them to decide because they are the experts.”
This may result in limiting the technological assistance to determine close caught-behind calls with extended camera angles. Nevertheless, the development — according to a domestic team’s coach — would be a “starting point in forcing the BCCI to take domestic cricket more seriously”.
Even during the captains and coaches’ conclave in May, many teams had demanded the introduction of DRS, citing poor umpiring decisions.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’