Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, the National Hockey League and several college basketball tournaments areand suspending or canceling games in a bid to help slow the spread of in the US.
MLB, which was set to begin its season two weeks from Thursday, halted spring training taking place in Florida and Arizona. It has delayed the start of the season by at least two weeks, the league announced Thursday.
Also on Thursday, the MLS tweeted out a statement that it would be suspending match play for 30 days “effective immediately, as the league continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 with its medical task force and public health officials.”
Shortly after the MLS announcement, the NHL announced it will “pause” its current season due to the pandemic. No timeline was given for when the NHL might resume action.
In the NCAA, several major Division I conferences including the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC and American Athletic Conference announced Thursday that they would be canceling their respective conference tournaments this week amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Other conference tournaments are currently underway, though some, including the ACC, had been playing without fans. Next week’s March Madness tournament is currently still slated to continue, though games will be played without fans due to coronavirus fears.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about a medical condition or health objectives.
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com