Microsoft plans to release the Xbox Series X later this year, and we’re getting some more details now about the next-gen console. The company on Monday released three articles about the , looking at the upcoming console’s specs, its controller and reducing system latency. Some of the info had previously been revealed, but there are a few new bits of info gamers will want to know about.
One article included the spec sheet for the Xbox Series X. Most of the details came out in February, including the RDNA 2 graphics card and Zen 2 processor that can produce.
“Xbox Series X is the biggest generational leap of SOC [system on a chip] and API design that we’ve done with Microsoft, and it’s really an honor for AMD to be a trusted Microsoft partner for this endeavor,” said Sebastien Nussbaum, corporate vice president and senior fellow, semi-custom products and technologies at AMD. “The Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation and will propagate the innovation throughout the DirectX ecosystem this year and into next year.”
Another feature talked about prominently on Monday is the Xbox Series X’s SSD drive. New to the system is the Xbox Velocity Architecture, which will let developers make use of up to 100GB of game assets instantaneously.
Microsoft released a video showing off the difference in loading times between the new console and older Xboxes, using the game State of Decay 2. While the Xbox One X takes approximately 50 seconds to load the game, the Xbox Series X takes just 9 seconds.
The new Xbox controller will receive two upgrades over the previous version, although the appearance is somewhat the same. The first is an improved Dpad, which was generally considered one of the weakest aspects of the controller. The second is the addition of a Share button that replaces the need to enter the system’s menu to capture and share content.
Another detail Microsoft mentioned was the actual dimensions of the Xbox Series X. The console will measure 151mm x 151mm x 301mm.
Along with the size of the system, Microsoft also poked fun at its unique shape. When it wassome people on social media joked about how the Xbox Series X had a shape similar to that of a refrigerator.
Microsoft tweeted Monday about the size of the console and used a refrigerator for scale.
The Xbox Series X is set for release for holiday 2020, and there is still no price for it.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing