PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Department of Transportation is trying out ‘smart’ technology, which they say will not only alert drivers about a slow-down, but county officials believe it will also mean more safety for their workers on the streets.
ABC15 rode along as the MCDOT employees boarded a bus for a field trip through a work zone to see the Smart Work Zone Technology in action.
Right now, sensors are located on MC-85 from 95th Avenue and 75th Avenue.
“It processes through a computer and then transfers that information to message boards to inform the driver before the work zone, while they’re in the work zone, and as they exit the work zone,” explained MCDOT Director and County Engineer Jennifer Toth.
That information would contain how long the construction is and how long the delay will be for drivers.
County officials hope this will keep drivers alert in those areas with the large signs to remind them that workers are out.
Plus, they hope it will encourage them to find an alternate route. With fewer cars on the roadway in these construction zones, there is less of a possibility that a worker will be hit.
The pilot program only has the sensors located in this one area of Phoenix. But, the county is looking at the possibility of moving it forward.
“We’ll be taking that data… analyzing it and seeing if there are other places that we can use it,” Toth explained.
Have a road issue you want ABC15 to look into? Contact Operation Safe Roads by phone: (833) AZ-ROADS or email: [email protected]
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’