The electrified sedan debuted on Thursday with its mild-hybrid powertrain and light styling updates, though to be honest, we were expecting more than a mild-hybrid powertrain when Maserati mentioned the word “hybrid.” Nevertheless, there’s a 48-volt alternator onboard, an electric supercharger and a small battery mounted in the back of the car to make up the “electrified” side of things. A 2.0-liter turbo-four engine makes up the internal-combustion half of the Ghibli Hybrid.
Altogether, there’s 330 horsepower and 331 pound-feet of torque on tap. Compared to the standard Ghibli’s 345-hp twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6, that’s not too bad, and the mild-hybrid powertrain will definitely be more fuel efficient. Maserati also promises the car still sounds like a Maserati.
With the new powertrain comes some styling tweaks, too. Most of them are minor, but the rear end gets a set of revamped taillights to mimic the Alfieri concept shown years ago. It’s a much-needed freshening for the sedan. Otherwise, eagle-eyed onlookers will barely notice an updated front grille with new slats and plenty of blue highlights. Maserati chose blue to represent its electrified and totally electric cars moving forward, and the color makes its way to the air ducts, brake calipers and part of the emblem itself.
Inside, blue moves inward as well to act as a contrasting embroidery, but the bigger news is on the connectivity and infotainment side of things. Now, there’s a 10.1-inch screen with the latest Intelligent Assistant system running, which also leans on Android operating system more so. Maserati says the system is far easier to use and features updated graphics to boot. A new Connect system also handles safety system functions and digests information more quickly.
The Ghibli Hybrid is just the tip of the iceberg. Next year, we’ll see two GranTurismo and GranCabrio. And don’t forget, the is still scheduled for a debut later this year, too.from Maserati in the next-generation
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing