This story is part of , CNET’s full coverage of the 2020 elections.
This election season Lyft wants to make sure everyone has a chance to get to the polls. — an effort to expand transportation access to those who need it most.
As part of its LyftUp initiative, this year the ride share service is providing voters with free and discounted rides to the polls throughout the entire primary calendar and the general election. This is an expansion of .
“Every citizen who wants to exercise their fundamental right to vote should have reliable, affordable access to the polls — regardless of income, age, zip code, or political affiliation,” Lyft said in a statement. “Yet in the last presidential election, it’s estimated that more than 15 million eligible voters didn’t go to the polls in large part because they lacked a way to get there.”
Lyft’s free and discounted poll rides began with theon Feb. 3, and will continue during all primaries and caucuses leading up to the general election.
Non-profit organizations League of Women Voters, National Federation of the Blind, Student Veterans of America, National Urban League, and Voto Latino Foundation are working with Lyft to distribute rides directly to people in their networks whom they determine are most in need of transportation to the polls.
Lyft didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com