To complement the debut of itson Wednesday, automotive startup Lucid Motors also released more teaser photos of what it’s calling Project Gravity: built on the Air’s electric drive platform. We’ve known the electric SUV has been for , but this is our clearest official look at the new model’s rear end and proportions.
It’s no surprise that the Gravity uses the same design language as the Air sedan, with a very simple front end punctuated by a wide “Light Blade” integrating the Lucid badge and the headlamps. Out back, the SUV trades the Air’s wraparound rear glass for a more conventional, upright window and hatch. The rear end also features a single wide light assembly for the taillamps and a minimalist design.
Obviously, the SUV’s stance and proportions are the biggest departure from the Air. The new model stands taller than the sedan with increased ground clearance. It’s unclear if the SUV is any wider than the Air, which is already narrower than a Tesla Model S.
Also like the sedan, the SUV features a contrasting silver roof with a windshield that stretches almost all the way back to the B pillar for a light, airy feel. The concept’s upright shape integrates roof rails and is presented with a low-profile hardshell cargo carrier. Between that, the increased rear cargo area and likely sizable under-hood storage space, there’s sure to be plenty of trunk and frunk for carrying junk.
Aerodynamics are important to any EV and especially Lucid Motors’ designers. It will be interesting to see how much of the Air’s class-leading 0.21 drag coefficient is sacrificed to the Gravity’s larger front profile. We’re also curious to what effect the aero (and, we presume, the SUV’s extra mass) will have on the powertrain’s potential 517-mile range when equipped with Lucid’s largest 113-kilowatt-hour battery pack.
We expect to learn more about the Lucid Project Gravity concept SUV during theWednesday, so we’ll be updating with details as they emerge.
Updated, Sept. 9: Adds “Project Gravity” nomenclature revealed during Lucid’s stream.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing